This project is part of the financing program of the European GNSS Agency for the research and innovation program of Horizon 2020
provide back-up to traditional synchronization systems based on GNSS
Increase robustness of synchronization based on Galileo
S04 is meant to work in parallel with GPS/GALILEO synchronization in order to reach full technological redundancy
- S04 addresses those networks that require outstanding timing accuracy (~100ns) and high reliability
- Major: broadcasting networks (esp. Single Frequency Network)
- Other: finance, science
Main features to address user needs
S04 allows to synchronize user terminals of a network by means of a GEO satellite and a set of two-way stations
- GNSS independence, i.e. the system realizes technological redundancy with respect to GNSS-based systems.
- Timing accuracy ~100ns.
- Reduction of interference with respect to GNSS-based systems.
- No dedicated satellites: any (commercial) geostationary satellite can be used.
Best achieved performance: PPS is stably oscillating in a range narrower than +/-100nm.